[cabf_validation] [EXTERNAL] Draft Ballot SCXX: Improve OU validation requirements

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Mon Nov 23 10:35:07 MST 2020

On 23/11/2020 5:23 μ.μ., Ryan Sleevi via Validation wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 6:58 AM Doug Beattie
> <doug.beattie at globalsign.com <mailto:doug.beattie at globalsign.com>> wrote:
>
>     Paul,
>
>     This does not address Ryan’s concerns he’s previously stated, so I
>     doubt it’s really advancing the cause.
>

> Wholeheartedly agreed. This continues to be a facile attempt to
> dismiss two years of thoughtful collaboration in order to advance a
> discredited idea that harms user security and server agility.
>
>     Ryan: I’m thinking the use of a private extension for this type of
>     data (including LEIs and other industry desired data) that cannot
>     be validated in accordance with the BRs (section 3.2) might be a
>     good approach, similar to the QCStatement extension. Would you
>     have any serious objections to the long term use of a private
>     extension which the browsers can ignore for conveying this type of
>     data?
>

> Yes.

I believe that the organizationalUnitName field is an extension of the
organizationName field for larger organizations, especially governmental
structures. This group has not seen any evidence in the past several
years where using OU in end-entity TLS certificates has caused any user
security harm. Perhaps there were discussions in m.d.s.p. or other
Forums about users claiming they were deceived by following information
in the OU fields. Even when this field was used to convey tracking
information or displaying the policy validation level in a more humanly
readable manner ("This Certificate is Domain/Organization/Extended
Validated") used by some CAs, I don't remember users reporting anything
about security harm. HARICA has been using OU fields in OV Certificates
for the last 10 years and we've never received a report from a Relying
Party that they were misguided or harmed in any way because of
information in the OU field.

Entrust's proposal is trying to make improvements to the current BRs
practice which a significant part of Internet Certificate Subscribers
use today. Assuming that Identity in Certificates is of some use (some
think it is useful and some think it's not; we're not going to solve
this problem on this thread), Relying Parties that check the information
in certificates can see which Organizational Unit of the validated
Organization is responsible for the site/certificate. Just like they do
with the countryName, stateOrProvinceName, localityName and
organizationName, they can see useful information in the
organizationalUnitName field.

It is self-reported information by the Applicant, but the risk of adding
harmful or misleading data is significantly mitigated by the proposed
language of the ballot.

There is probably not going to be 100% consensus on this proposal so
perhaps the best way forward is to proceed with the ballot and see how
it goes.

Ryan's last response on the extension proposal is not clear whether it
has to do with something "similar to the QCStatement" or if there are
serious objections to any type of extension. I was hoping that since the
BRs allow custom extensions to be defined by CAs (and how CAs validate
this information), it would be allowed for a CA to include an extension
that is designed -say- for the EV Profile, like the
CABFSelectedAttributeTypes extension, and include the LEI value. Ryan,
can you please clarify?

Thanks you,
Dimitris.