[cabf_validation] [EXTERNAL] Draft Ballot SCXX: Improve OU validation requirements

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Mon Nov 23 11:45:12 MST 2020

Hi Dimitris,

I understand we have different viewpoints, and despite past attempts to
help you understand the systemic issues, it appears we will not resolve
them.

Our focus is to ensure all information included in certificates is
necessary and has been validated against well-defined, interoperable
criteria. Entrust's latest proposal fails on both those very simple tests,
being neither well-defined nor interoperable, as have their previous
efforts. I can understand that some CAs would prefer a single PKI to serve
multiple distinct purposes, but despite good-faith efforts on establishing
the rationale for such information, the provided explanations are weak, at
best, although many fall into the long-discredited approach to "risk
management" that says "There is no risk until something goes wrong". As it
stands, nearly half of the CA security incidents we see are related to
approaches and proposals similar to what's proposed here for OU, and
frankly, that's not acceptable to continue. You can see Ben Wilson's
presentation at our recent F2F, in the event you'd like to know more about
those statistics.

For every CA we trust, we want to make sure they're operating a
well-defined PKI, with a clear set of purposes and constituencies. While
certificates can be used to express a wide variety of information, it's
best to ensure separate protocols (e.g. TLS vs S/MIME), separate naming
scopes (e.g. legal identity, domain identity, application identity), and
user communities (e.g. payment terminals, web browsers, banking industry)
use separate PKIs. "PKI" is merely a collection of related technologies,
but the successful deployment requires care across all of those dimensions,
and attempting to combine them has, over the past 25 years, shown
repeatedly the security risks that can come from it.

You are correct for recognizing that, at the core, this is a question about
identity in certificates. However, this is not merely a disagreement, but
one that touches on the heart of the security of every user, as it affects
a multitude of security principles: from the ability to easy replace
certificates (e.g. not having to undergo complex identity vetting processes
for information that is not programatically used), the ability to easily
change CAs (in which the identity validating processes are used to raise
the complexity in changing to a better CA), to the need and frequency of
replacing certificates (due to CAs failing to follow the procedures they
themselves helped draft). These principles have a direct impact on user
security, and these are things we take very seriously.

When it comes to the CAs that we partner with and include out-of-the-box in
a fresh install, without requiring the user to take any explicit action to
install or configure, our intent is to work with CAs that share that common
goal, and understand that this is an ecosystem issue. I understand the
appeal of "If you don't like the certificate, don't trust it", but it's
much easier, safer, and interoperable to simply not partner with CAs that
only produce "good" results 50% of the time, then it is to try to add
complexity (and risk) to end users by trying to reject the insecure 50%.
This doesn't prevent the organization from issuing such certificates, but
does limit whether or not such "roots" are candidates for inclusion.

This is no different from how, out of the box, modern web browsers don't
support Gopher, or increasingly, FTP: if you want to use those protocols,
you have to take an added action to install or configure an
application/extension for them. PKI technologies, such as certificates, are
not a protocol or a singular solution; they're a set of tools and
techniques used to define different protocols. Just as the travel document
PKI <https://www.icao.int/publications/pages/publication.aspx?docnum=9303>
has a vastly different set of constraints than a PKI used for datacenter
authentication between virtual machines <https://spiffe.io/>, even though
both use "PKI" and "certificates", when it comes to our browser product,
our goal in the set of CAs we support is to limit the demands on
sophistication/attentiveness of users, ensure security out of the box,
automate security checks
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-pkix-ipki-00#section-2.3>, and
treat it as a holistic, systems issue, rather than one-offs. When it comes
to web browsers, these requirements and needs have been known for decades,
and on a technical level, such proposals simply don't match how the
technology works
<https://www.ccadb.org/documents/Qualified_Website_Authentication_Certificates_Interoperability.pdf>
.

The Baseline Requirements do not, nor have they ever, permitted CAs to
include unverified, self-attested information. Every piece of information
included in a certificate has a requirement to be validated by the CA, as
captured by 7.1.2.4 of the BRs, as well as more specific individual
requirements. It is unfortunate that a CA needs to be reminded of this, or
of the principles and motivations, and this applies equally to LEI, OU, or
any other field or data the CA might imagine here.