[cabfpub] DRAFT Ballot Forum-XX: Allow Informative Changes to Guidelines

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Wed Sep 11 15:14:28 UTC 2019

I probably got confused by processing all the previous discussions,
during the F2F, teleconferences and the recent discussion on the CA/B
Forum plenary public list.

Leaving the EV Guidelines change aside, which you are absolutely correct
and I didn't consider it properly, the rationale of making this a
Forum-ballot is because the procedures for updating the Guidelines
affect all Working Groups. The existing Server Certificate WG Charter
doesn't say anything about how the ballots take place because this is
described in the Bylaws. Passing a Forum Ballot with an accepted
practice would affect all Working Groups and therefore we would not need
to pass the same ballot for each Working Group. Please note the Motion
language which starts with "The Chair or Vice-Chair of a CWG..."

I did not propose updating the Bylaws because the majority of Members
wanted to have more substantial changes collected for Bylaws updates
because of the extra revisions (though legal and other departments). You
also supported that we should not make small changes to Bylaws very
frequently. I tried to capture that in this ballot which is why it is
not a Bylaws update but a "Forum approved" practice, which already
happens today.

There is no contravention of the Bylaws as far as this procedure is
concerned. The Bylaws are silent about these changes. If you consider
that this proposed procedure violates the Bylaws, then you are
practically saying that all existing Guidelines published on our web
site are invalid.

If members feel that this needs to be an SCWG ballot, I'd gladly move it
to the SCWG public list. If members feel this should be a Forum ballot,
for the reasons mentioned above, I will revise the ballot and remove the
changes to the EV Guidelines, as these would have to be performed at the
SCWG. I therefore welcome some feedback from other members as well.

I also feel a bit offended by your expression that I am "committed to
avoiding changes to the Bylaws". I would very much like to make this a
Bylaws update but I respect the majority's opinion not to make small
changes to Bylaws.

Dimitris.