[cabfpub] DRAFT Ballot Forum-XX: Allow Informative Changes to Guidelines

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Wed Sep 11 13:25:21 UTC 2019

Dimitris,

I'm a bit surprised you went this way, as I do think it creates more
problems.

On a ballot legitimacy level, I do not believe you can propose a Forum
level ballot to change a Final Maintenance Guideline of a CWG, which you've
done by proposing to use the Forum to change the EV Guidelines. That seems
directly in contravention of our Bylaws.

With respect to proposing Ballots that change our procedure in
contravention of the Bylaws, this is not acceptable. If you want to change
our Bylaws, then change our Bylaws - but the suggestion of creating
procedures that conflict with and contravene our Bylaws, without actually
capturing them, undermines the entire legitimacy of the Forum and our IP
protections, which are gated upon the execution of the Bylaws.

As we've previously discussed, repeatedly, a path forward involves having
the Bylaws recognize that CWGs may designate portions of Final Guidelines
and Final Maintenance Guidelines as informative and non-binding, and permit
modifications to those sections by the Chair or Vice-Chair. This would then
allow the SCWG to designate the appropriate sections as informative.

If you're committed to avoiding changes to the Bylaws, there are also
obvious other solutions as well, which fully comport with our Bylaws and IP
policy, and which would be done at the SCWG level.