[cabfpub] Ballot 221 v3: Two-Factor Authentication and Password Improvements

Eric Mill eric.mill at gsa.gov
Thu May 17 14:43:14 UTC 2018

FedRAMP has published guidance about the new NIST password/identity
guidelines:
https://www.fedramp.gov/assets/resources/documents/CSP_Digital_Identity_Requirements.pdf

They note that the formal baseline is still not updated, but encourage
folks to follow NIST's new guidance regardless:

NOTE: At the time of this document’s publication, FedRAMP Moderate and High
controls IA-5 (g)
and IA-5 (1) (a,d) are known to be more restrictive than the new password
requirements in 800-
63B, AAL2 and AAL3 respectively. FedRAMP recommends Agency AOs accept
compliance with
NIST’s guidance that is most up-to-date and consistent with current cyber
security threats. This
may be done using an implementation status of “Alternative Implementation.”

I also confirmed with the FedRAMP program that the baseline is expected to
be updated to match NIST's SP 800-63, and thus avoid the need for any
special acceptance. But the point is that FedRAMP is not an obstacle to
dropping password rotation -- they are expecting service providers to
follow NIST's guidance and drop it.

-- Eric

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 6:48 PM, Geoff Keating via Public <
public at cabforum.org> wrote:

> > On May 15, 2018, at 8:37 AM, Patrick Tronnier via Public <
> public at cabforum.org> wrote:
> >
> > I want to make it clear that OATI agrees with the minimum 2 year
> password period as the more secure route. It is FedRAMP and other standards
> which don’t. J
>
> I've been looking at FedRAMP, because I was surprised they'd be putting
> out guidelines that conflict with NIST guidelines, and I can't find this
> requirement; for the 'high security controls' (https://www.fedramp.gov/
> assets/resources/documents/FedRAMP_High_Security_Controls.xlsx), it does
> require you have a minimum and maximum password lifetime in IA-05(1)(d),
> but it says the actual limits are organization-defined, so you can ask the
> organization to set the maximum lifetime to, say, 3 years.

Eric Mill
Senior Advisor, Technology Transformation Services
Federal Acquisition Service, GSA
eric.mill at gsa.gov, +1-617-314-0966