[cabfpub] Ballot 221 v3: Two-Factor Authentication and Password Improvements

Tim Hollebeek tim.hollebeek at digicert.com
Thu May 17 16:18:53 UTC 2018

Awesome.

Thank you, Eric.

-Tim

From: Public [mailto:public-bounces at cabforum.org] On Behalf Of Eric Mill via Public
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2018 10:43 AM
To: Geoff Keating <geoffk at apple.com>; CA/Browser Forum Public Discussion List <public at cabforum.org>
Subject: Re: [cabfpub] Ballot 221 v3: Two-Factor Authentication and Password Improvements

FedRAMP has published guidance about the new NIST password/identity guidelines:

https://www.fedramp.gov/assets/resources/documents/CSP_Digital_Identity_Requirements.pdf

They note that the formal baseline is still not updated, but encourage folks to follow NIST's new guidance regardless:

NOTE: At the time of this document’s publication, FedRAMP Moderate and High controls IA-5 (g)

and IA-5 (1) (a,d) are known to be more restrictive than the new password requirements in 800-

63B, AAL2 and AAL3 respectively. FedRAMP recommends Agency AOs accept compliance with

NIST’s guidance that is most up-to-date and consistent with current cyber security threats. This

may be done using an implementation status of “Alternative Implementation.”

I also confirmed with the FedRAMP program that the baseline is expected to be updated to match NIST's SP 800-63, and thus avoid the need for any special acceptance. But the point is that FedRAMP is not an obstacle to dropping password rotation -- they are expecting service providers to follow NIST's guidance and drop it.

-- Eric

I've been looking at FedRAMP, because I was surprised they'd be putting out guidelines that conflict with NIST guidelines, and I can't find this requirement; for the 'high security controls' (https://www.fedramp.gov/assets/resources/documents/FedRAMP_High_Security_Controls.xlsx), it does require you have a minimum and maximum password lifetime in IA-05(1)(d), but it says the actual limits are organization-defined, so you can ask the organization to set the maximum lifetime to, say, 3 years.