[cabfpub] Proposed motion to modify EV domain verification section

Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Thu May 2 13:07:30 MST 2013

On 05/02/2013 10:59 PM, From Rich Smith:

> I absolutely consider the methods you quoted far more sufficient than
> simply looking at WHOIS information.  It is well known that the domain
> registrars, with a few possible exceptions, do absolutely no vetting
> of the information contained in WHOIS so just looking at WHOIS for
> MYFAKEMICROSOFT.COM and seeing Microsoft's name and address in the
> Registrant details is completely useless as any kind of actual
> verification of anything except that the actual domain owner knows how
> to look up a company's address.

That's correct - the idea by looking at the WHOIS records is probably to
confirm that the same name that was verified means control/ownership
over it. But not that s my point, but the fact that a human is involved
in between for final confirmation - for example StartCom does domain
control validation aka BR and WHOIS confirmation aka EV for EV certs. In
my opinion probably the best approach for high assurance certs.

Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO
	StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>
XMPP: 	startcom at startcom.org <xmpp:startcom at startcom.org>