[cabfpub] [cabfman] Ballot [94] - Adoption of CA/Browser Forum Bylaws

Rich Smith richard.smith at comodo.com
Thu Nov 15 22:03:39 UTC 2012

From: public-bounces at cabforum.org [mailto:public-bounces at cabforum.org] On
Behalf Of Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.)

[RWS] <snip> If a change to the guidelines doesn't provide any benefit to the
relying parties (e.g. browsers) then it might be questionable if it's really
necessary or if it's just something some CAs would like to have. [RWS] </snip>

[RWS] But if it doesn't have any detrimental effect to relying parties and is
beneficial to CAs and/or their customers, then I would definitely not call
that unnecessary.  Going back to ballot 88 we had placed restrictions that had
real consequences for a subscriber with a very legitimate use case.  I don't
consider the changes made by that ballot unnecessary at all.  And I think the
government of a widely recognized independent country whose problem we solved
would agree.

-Rich