[cabfpub] [cabfman] Ballot [94] - Adoption of CA/Browser Forum Bylaws

Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Thu Nov 15 21:51:51 UTC 2012

On 11/15/2012 11:40 PM, From kirk_hall at trendmicro.com:
> I just don’t think this is controversial – most of us assumed this was
> the rule already (that there had to be at least minimal support – one
> “yes” vote from a browser and one “yes” vote from a CA – for a ballot
> to pass).  So we are not deleting this new sentence from the proposed
> Bylaws in Ballot [94].

As for me, I don't think that there ever was such a requirement, but I
do think that it makes sense. If a change to the guidelines doesn't
provide any benefit to the relying parties (e.g. browsers) then it might
be questionable if it's really necessary or if it's just something some
CAs would like to have. If it's not supported by the CAs, it might be
questionable too, even though all the browsers together couldn't
probably get a quorum anyway...

Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO
	StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>