[Cscwg-public] Proposal to make changes to revocation based on malware

Martijn Katerbarg martijn.katerbarg at sectigo.com
Tue Jul 19 07:21:46 UTC 2022

Thanks Tim,

*	What is the motivation for allowing a waiver if approved by just “at least one” of the stakeholders, instead of all of them?
*	I’m a bit concerned that language might be increasingly troublesome as we continue to expand the scope and participation of this group.

I believe it might be difficult to get approval from all stakeholders within a certain amount of time, meaning the CA would possibly never get all approvals, and never be able to utilize the waiver.

Considering that signed code is often (but not exclusively) targeted for a specific platform, stakeholders of other platforms might not be inclined to give approval for something that does not even affect them.

I do share your concern, but I also don’t see a better path towards the same goal.

*	Similarly, I’m unsure how I feel about making compliance distinctions based on whether a particular root program has decided to have a contractual relationship with its issuers or not.  That seems like an implementation detail of the relationship that the guidelines should remain silent on.  But I appreciate what that definition is intended to do, and would like to perhaps find a different way to express the same intent.

Good point, and maybe the word “contract” is too much here?

Although I would note this language is already part of the “Certificate Beneficiaries” definition right now.

I’m open for a different suggestion

What is the motivation for allowing a waiver if approved by just “at least one” of the stakeholders, instead of all of them?

I’m a bit concerned that language might be increasingly troublesome as we continue to expand the scope and participation of this group.

Similarly, I’m unsure how I feel about making compliance distinctions based on whether a particular root program has decided to have a contractual relationship with its issuers or not.  That seems like an implementation detail of the relationship that the guidelines should remain silent on.  But I appreciate what that definition is intended to do, and would like to perhaps find a different way to express the same intent.

-Tim