[cabf_validation] nameConstraints on technically constrained sub-CAs

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Thu Sep 2 15:58:48 UTC 2021

On 2/9/2021 6:34 μ.μ., Ryan Sleevi wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 4:41 AM Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) via
> Validation <validation at cabforum.org <mailto:validation at cabforum.org>>
> wrote:
>
>     Whether NC is REQUIRED or not for a non-TLS subCA (a Certificate
>     with basicConstraints cA:true and EKU extension with KeyPurposeID
>     that DOES NOT include anyExtendedKeyUsageor id-kp-serverAuth) to
>     be considered "Technically Constrained", has been clarified at
>     least in the Mozilla Root Program since 2016
>     <https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.dev.security.policy/c/f5-URPoNarI/m/PVdH28BFAAAJ>.
>     It is not required.
>
>     In fact, HARICA was reading 7.1.5 in the very strict way that Ryan
>     is suggesting, and our first Technically Constrained subCAs, even
>     those that only had the KeyPurposeId of id-kp-emailProtection,
>     ALSO had a NC extension with denied subtrees for dNSName and
>     IPAddress values. After discussions with the Mozilla Root store
>     Managers, it was determined that it was not necessary to add the
>     NC if the subCA had an EKU extension and did not have the
>     id-kp-serverAuth or the anyEKU KeyPurposeId for them to be
>     considered Technically Constrained.
>

> I'm not sure I understand your reply here.
>
> Are you trying to say that CAs are free to ignore the BRs if one root
> program says so?

No. I am saying that it's a reasonable interpretation of the current BRs
and that a subCA that contains an EKU without id-kp-serverAuth or anyEKU
should be considered technically constrained because it cannot create a
valid TLS end-entity certificate. Or, put differently, even if a TLS
end-entity certificate is issued, it should not validate successfully
because of the EKU chaining restrictions.

> I can understand wanting to talk about what the _future_ requirements
> should say, but I think the context of what the _current_ requirements
> require is relevant here, since the concern is the profiles expressing
> that requirement.

I am talking about the current requirements.

> You will note, for example, that the profiles work is trying to relax
> this and actually allow the EKU-or-NC.

If the SCWG is looking it from the server TLS point of view,
"technically constrained" should focus on the technical capabilities of
validating a trust path that would enable a *server TLS* end-entity
certificate. In the attempt to describe the profiles for TLS and non-TLS
issuing CAs, and as the certificate profiles work is trying to clarify,
for the first case we should need both EKU (serverAuth) and NC, while
for the non-TLS we should constrain with just the EKU (must not include
serverAuth or anyEKU).

> However, it's still requiring that, even if a distinct EKU is present,
> because it's issued from a BR CA, the certificates the BR CA issues
> need to be well-formed.

I support this statement. The certificate that is signed by a Root
subject to the BRs must be well-formed. I was commenting on whether the
NC extension is required or not for a non-TLS issuing CA. If a CA
chooses to add a NC, it should be well-formed according to RFC5280.

> That seems to have some concern raised, by Corey, and that's why we're
> trying to resolve, by making sure we have a correct understanding
> about what the BRs require, so that we can make sure that the profiles
> work is properly seen as strictly relaxing, not adding new restrictions.

Totally onboard with that which is why I am sharing these thoughts and
past experience on this topic.

Dimitris.