[cabf_validation] Validation Summit Takeaways

Doug Beattie doug.beattie at globalsign.com
Mon Mar 12 07:26:32 MST 2018

Hi Wayne,

During the meetings we discussed threats and vulnerabilities and we should continue documenting them per each method.  Since this won’t be a reflection of the meeting (can’t be in the meeting notes), where do you suggest we build on what was discussed so everyone understands the risks of the methods?

For example, I think if we better understand the attacks possible for method 1, we may be able to specify sufficient safeguards (same for methods 9 and 10 with the addition of ALPN).  I think your Google Doc jumps to the recommended solutions without discussing the issues with the method as it stands.  I recommend adding a table to each method before you get into the details with:

-          Risk – what can go wrong

-          Mitigation: How do you reduce the risk (which might contain the items you’ve listed already

-          Discussion – how we think this mitigation works, or doesn’t.

I’ll go ahead and do this for method 9 and you can accept, comment, or REJECT my suggestions ☺  If this is the way to proceed, then the person that presented the methods might want to do the same.

Doug