[cabf_validation] Pre-Ballot 169: Revised Validation Requirements

J.C. Jones jjones at mozilla.com
Fri Apr 29 09:47:27 MST 2016

Doug,

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 4:55 AM, Doug Beattie
<doug.beattie at globalsign.com> wrote:
> 2.       Also in H we say: “..or another path registered with IANA..”  At one point we decided this
> was a bad idea, but I probably missed the request to add it back.  I was assuming we would add
> the exact path if/when IANA identified one so it was clear what paths are allowed.
> Doug

This was to permit the ACME-specified ".well-known/acme-challenge/"
path, without having to be ACME-specific [1].
While "acme-challenge" is not yet registered at IANA [2], the ACME WG
intends to register it before the 6 month
adoption period expires.

I think we could aim to be more specific here in a follow-up ballot.

1) https://cabforum.org/pipermail/validation/2016-February/000210.html
2) https://www.iana.org/assignments/well-known-uris/well-known-uris.xhtml

Cheers,
J.C.