[Smcwg-public] [External Sender] Re: Re: Re: SV certificates devoid of individual attributes

Ashish Dhiman ashish.dhiman at globalsign.com
Fri Oct 20 08:20:54 UTC 2023

Respected: CA/B – S/MIME Forum Members.
I feel the problem that we are trying to solve by prohibiting email address from CN in Legacy will only make things complex rather than solve it. During our discussion, the intent for legacy, always was to have minimum impact on existing practices and give time for wider industry to move to multipurpose or strict profile. I feel, we are defeating the whole purpose of legacy with suggested change, as I am trying to understand how; eliminating email address from CN will help us differentiate a sponsor profile from organization profile. As, Technically, people can still use department at example.com<mailto:department at example.com> in sponsor profile as email address and also use ashish.dhiman at globalsign.com<mailto:ashish.dhiman at globalsign.com> in Organization Profile as email address.
On the other hand, this change will also deviate from current practices for CN use for legacy use cases Also, during implementation, we see in most of the cases; email address used in Sponsor profiles are correct.
I think removing email in CN makes legacy no longer like legacy and seems to make it stricter than multi and strict where its allowed. There is also no indication that the intent for changes, will be achieved without mandatory use of Given Name and Sur Name in Legacy profile, which is again a big change considering legacy intent, and make these profiles similar to multi and strict version. Overall, this change seems to defeat its goal of supporting wider ecosystem for a while.
Ashish