[Smcwg-public] [External Sender] Ballot SMC01v3: Final Guideline for “S/MIME Baseline Requirements”

Adriano Santoni adriano.santoni at staff.aruba.it
Mon Oct 24 15:33:27 UTC 2022

All,

I apologize for raising doubts at the very "last minute", but since the
SMC BR are about to be put to the vote, I wanted to give them a complete
re-reading and I noticed a passage that leaves me a little perplexed.

Maybe this aspect was discussed at length, but then I missed that
discussion - sorry about that (in case).

Under "3.2.4.2 Validation of individual identity" we have the following
sentence:

> The CA or RA MAY use manual (in person) or remote procedures. A remote
> process SHALL ensure that the Applicant has the document in hand and
> presents the document /in real‐time /in front of a camera.

Where did we borrow "in real-time" from? Not from the TLS BR nor from
EVGL, it seems.

What's the rationale for that? It seems too demanding, to me, for S/MIME
certificates.

Several CAs that I am aware of are doing individual identity
verification (for S/MIME certificates) based on a Photo ID and a selfie
(showing both the Applicant and his/her Photo ID), and this latter is
not required to be taken in "real time".

I am therefore a bit surprised that all the people here agree on this
"in real time" which implies the non-compliance of current procedures
and the need to move to more complex and more expensive procedures.
Seems a bit excessive for S/MIME certificates.

Adriano