[Smcwg-public] CAA Processing for Email Addresses

Stephen Davidson Stephen.Davidson at digicert.com
Wed Nov 30 19:15:51 UTC 2022

Hello:

As discussed previously, Certificate Authority Authorization (CAA) will be one of our next topics to discuss in the SMCWG.

As use of CAA for S/MIME would be an expansion of the core RFC8659 CAA specification, Corey Bonnell has stepped forward to write and propose a draft specification of a new "ISSUEMAIL" property tag, including directions on how the tag should be processed by CAs:

Certification Authority Authorization (CAA) Processing for Email Addresses
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-bonnell-caa-issuemail-00.html

This specification would be referenced, and supplemented with additional directions, in our S/MIME BR.  A discussion on the draft CAA "ISSUEMAIL" specification is taking place at:

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/spasm/chcrIZEit6HcdGyFGNzyiL7Dg6k/

Thank you to Corey for this work.

Best regards, Stephen