[Smcwg-public] rfc822Name and/or otherName of type id-on-SmtpUTF8Mailbox

Stefan Selbitschka selbitschka at rundquadrat.at
Wed Feb 16 13:58:14 UTC 2022

Hello everyone,

from a consumer (MUA) point of view I vote for option 1)

"a least one rfc822Name as required with an option for additional
rfc822Names or id-on-SmtpUTF8Mailbox"

This would give the best interoperability since some MUAs require the
sender email address of a signed message to be in rfc822Names of
subjectAltName of the signing certificate. If we allow certificates
without an email in rfc822Name there will be compatibility issues.

Otherwise it would give MUAs a guaranteed source of information for work
with.

regards
stefan