[Smcwg-public] rfc822Name and/or otherName of type id-on-SmtpUTF8Mailbox

Stephen Davidson Stephen.Davidson at digicert.com
Mon Feb 14 16:18:30 UTC 2022

Hello:

In our discussions we have accommodated both the use of rfc822Name and the use of otherName of type id-on-SmtpUTF8Mailbox in public trust S/MIME.

I'd like to clarify something as it appears in several areas of the SMIME BR draft.  For the SAN, which of the following is the most appropriate?

*       Applicant information SHALL include, but not be limited to, at least one rfc822Name email address to be included in the Certificate's subjectAltName extension.

Or

*       Applicant information SHALL include, but not be limited to, at least one rfc822Name or one otherName of type id-on-SmtpUTF8Mailbox to be included in the Certificate's subjectAltName extension.

In other words do we wish to define 1) a least one rfc822Name as required with an option for additional rfc822Names or id-on-SmtpUTF8Mailbox, or 2) at least one rfc822Name or id-on-SmtpUTF8Mailbox (interchangeably)?

Feedback welcomed!

Many thanks, Stephen