[Smcwg-public] [External Sender] Re: OrganizationIdentifier for Gov and Treaty Orgs

Stephen Davidson Stephen.Davidson at digicert.com
Tue Aug 9 13:26:57 UTC 2022

Currently the text in 7.1.4.2.2 (d) says:

Note 2: For the following types of entities that do not have an identifier from the Registration Schemes listed in Appendix A<https://github.com/cabforum/smime/blob/preSBR/SBR.md#appendix-a---registration-schemes>:

* For Government Entities, the CA SHALL enter the text `Government Entity`.
* For International Organization Entities, the CA SHALL enter the text `International Organization Entity`. An International Organization Entity is founded by a constituent document, e.g., a charter, treaty, convention or similar document, signed by, or on behalf of, a minimum of two Sovereign State governments.

An option would be to change that text to:

Note 2: For the following types of entities that do not have an identifier from the Registration Schemes listed in Appendix A<https://github.com/cabforum/smime/blob/preSBR/SBR.md#appendix-a---registration-schemes>:

* For Government Entities, the CA SHALL enter the Registration Scheme identifier ‘GOV’ followed by the 2 character ISO 3166 country code for the nation in which the Government Entity is located.  If the Government Entity is verified at a subdivision (state or province) level, then a plus "+" (0x2B (ASCII), U+002B (UTF-8)) followed by a 2 character ISO 3166-2 identifier for the subdivision is added.
* For International Organization Entities, the CA SHALL enter the Registration Scheme identifier ‘INTORG’ followed by the ISO 3166 code "XG". An International Organization Entity is founded by a constituent document, e.g., a charter, treaty, convention or similar document, signed by, or on behalf of, a minimum of two Sovereign State governments.

For example:
* GOVUS (Government Entity, United States)
* GOVUS+CA (Government Entity, United States - California)
* INTORGXG (International Organization)

Thoughts?
Regards, Stephen