[Smcwg-public] User Interface for S/MIME

Stephen Davidson Stephen.Davidson at digicert.com
Tue Jan 19 17:45:07 UTC 2021

Hello:

In our recent discussions about S/MIME the question has arisen how Certificate Consumers (i.e., email software) use information from the S/MIME certificate in the user interface.

I am hoping that our colleagues at Google, Microsoft, Mozilla/Thunderbird, Zertificon - and others - can provide more information on questions like:

*       What is the default display for user name in the mailbox for a signed certificate?
*       What configuration options are available to enterprise users (for example to customize the display of subject identity info)?
*       Are there options to leverage S/MIME certificate information that may not be displayed (for example to make trust decisions)?

If there are pointers/URLs to public information that would be helpful.

On a recent call, TeleTrust representatives also voiced a willingness to speak with their members on the subject of how they configured S/MIME or used S/MIME certificate information.  That would be useful.

Many thanks, Stephen