[Servercert-wg] Discussion Period Begins - Ballot SC-080 V1: "Sunsetting use of WHOIS to identify Domain Contacts"

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Wed Sep 18 16:37:26 UTC 2024

Domain Name Registrars may use the Domain Contact information in their
records, and published using the WHOIS/RDAP/WWW protocols, to contact a
Domain Owner for password resets or modifications to the Domain Name
Servers.

If Domain Name Registrars use that information to make changes to the
Name Servers associated with a Domain Name, which is way more critical
for the security of that actual Domain Name, why shouldn't the WebPKI
rely on it for demonstration of ownership of the Domain Name?

Over the years, most Registrars have implemented additional controls
like stronger authentication using 2FA and others, but the fundamental
issue exists. What happens when a Domain Owner forgets their password?
Each Registrar may have a different approach to handle this particular
situation but I assure you most of them use the Domain Contact
information to perform this reset.

BTW, the same principles guide the IP address blocks
assignment/management, and also still rely heavily on WHOIS.

Dimitris.