[Servercert-wg] [Ext] Re: Discussion Period Begins - Ballot SC-080 V1: "Sunsetting use of WHOIS to identify Domain Contacts"

Francisco Arias francisco.arias at icann.org
Mon Sep 16 22:21:52 UTC 2024

Hi all,

Regarding the proposal to sunset the use of WHOIS to identify domain contacts, I would like to make the following points.

In the domain name space, there is a distinction between WHOIS data (which we prefer to call registration data) and the WHOIS protocol. The WHOIS protocol is very old, even predating DNS. However, registration data can be served over the Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP), which is a modern REST-style protocol using JSON and HTTPS.

Unlike the WHOIS protocol, RDAP has a formal method for finding an authoritative server. This is defined in RFC 9224 [1]. In summary, each TLD registers a set of RDAP servers with IANA and RDAP clients use this information to find the authoritative server for TLDs [2]. Because of this formalized mechanism operated by the IANA, RDAP is less susceptible than the WHOIS protocol for the exploit noted by WatchTower Labs.

Finally, with the recent ratification of the ICANN RDAP Amendment [3], most gTLD registries and all registrars will no longer be under obligation to operate WHOIS services starting 28 January 2025. All will be under obligation to operate RDAP services conformant to the ICANN gTLD Profile [4].

I hope you find this information useful in your deliberations. I’d love to have one of our RDAP subject matter experts (Andy Newton, copied here) added to this mailing list to help with any other questions you may have on this topic. Is this something we can do?

Francisco Arias,
VP, GDS Technical Services
ICANN

[1] https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9224
[2] https://data.iana.org/rdap/dns.json
[3] https://www.icann.org/en/blogs/details/icann-board-approves-rdap-amendments-04-05-2023-en
[4] https://www.icann.org/gtld-rdap-profile

On 9/16/24, 13:40, "Servercert-wg on behalf of Mike Shaver via Servercert-wg" <servercert-wg-bounces at cabforum.org<mailto:servercert-wg-bounces at cabforum.org> on behalf of servercert-wg at cabforum.org<mailto:servercert-wg at cabforum.org>> wrote:

Hi Dimitris,