[Servercert-wg] Discussion Period Begins - Ballot SC-080 V1: "Sunsetting use of WHOIS to identify Domain Contacts"

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Mon Sep 16 17:19:25 UTC 2024

Is there feedback about the number of TLDs and possible certificate
volumes that might be affected by this attack?

The majority of validations performed by CAs using WHOIS is done in
gTLDs which have decent rules for monitoring and supervising their
operators. The biggest issue is with ccTLDs, which in majority work ok.
Unfortunately, most of them do not disclose email contact information,
making them unusable for Domain Validation.

Why are we causing such a large disturbance as if the Global Internet is
unsafe by this attack when the impact is 1 or 2 vanity TLDs for which
mitigations exist (like, use a better library or use the latest updated
list from IANA)?

I also agree with deprecating this method but we could do it in a
planned and controlled fashion. Not all validations with this method are
flawed, as it is currently presented.

Also, the deprecation date of November 1, 2024 is too soon. Even if we
consider the 7+7=14 days to pass a ballot, there are 30 days of the IPR
review process making this extremely close to the Nov 1, 2024 deadline.
It is also difficult for all CAs to update their RA systems to stop
re-using existing validation evidence in such a short timeframe.

Do the authors feel this ballot is super urgent and need such an
aggressive timeline? Is there any additional information for the
potential impact of this attack compared to the other "healthy"
cc/gTLDs? Would you consider an effective date closer to February or
March 2025?

Thank you,
Dimitris.