[Servercert-wg] Final minutes of the SCWG call of July 6th

Inigo Barreira Inigo.Barreira at sectigo.com
Thu Jul 20 16:55:18 UTC 2023

Final minutes Server Certificate Working Group – July 6, 2023

1.	Roll Call and Begin Recording 

Iñigo: For the attendance, Rich Smith of Digicert and Daryn of GoDaddy
joined the call.

Abdul Hakeem Putra - (MSC Trustgate Sdn Bhd), Abhishek Bhat - (eMudhra),
Adam Jones - (Microsoft), Andrea Holland - (VikingCloud), Ben Wilson -
(Mozilla), Brianca Martin - (Amazon), Chris Clements - (Google), Clint
Wilson - (Apple), Corey Bonnell - (DigiCert), Corey Rasmussen - (OATI),
Daryn Wright - (GoDaddy), Dimitris Zacharopoulos - (HARICA), Dustin
Hollenback - (Microsoft), Enrico Entschew - (D-TRUST), Eva Vansteenberge -
(GlobalSign), Fumi Yoneda - (Japan Registry Services), Inaba Atsushi -
(GlobalSign), Inigo Barreira - (Sectigo), Janet Hines - (VikingCloud), Jos
Purvis - (Fastly), Keshava Nagaraju - (eMudhra), Lynn Jeun - (Visa), Mads
Henriksveen - (Buypass AS), Marcelo Silva - (Visa), Marco Schambach -
(IdenTrust), Martijn Katerbarg - (Sectigo), Michelle Coon - (OATI), Nargis
Mannan - (VikingCloud), Nate Smith - (GoDaddy), Nicol So - (CommScope), Paul
van Brouwershaven - (Entrust), Pedro Fuentes - (OISTE Foundation), Peter
Miskovic - (Disig), Rebecca Kelley - (Apple), RIch Smith - (DigiCert),
Rollin Yu - (TrustAsia Technologies, Inc.), Roman Fischer - (SwissSign),
Ryan Dickson - (Google), Scott Rea - (eMudhra), Stephen Davidson -
(DigiCert), Tadahiko Ito - (SECOM Trust Systems), Thomas Zermeno -
(SSL.com), Tobias Josefowitz - (Opera Software AS), Trevoli Ponds-White -
(Amazon), Wayne Thayer - (Fastly), Yashwanth TM - (eMudhra)

2.	Read Antitrust Statement 

Iñigo: Read during the forum call part

3.	Review Agenda 

Iñigo: Agenda approved

4.	Minutes:

*	22 June: circulated

Iñigo: Minutes approved.

*	F2F: not ready yet

Iñigo: Sent out this morning. The validation SC minutes were also sent out
this week. Will be approved in 2 weeks during the next call. And then
published in the website.

5.	Membership:

*	No new applications

Iñigo: no new applications in these 2 weeks

6.	Issues to discuss

*	Label GitHub open tickets

Iñigo: We have about 70ish open issues in GitHub and would like to ask to
their owners to label those that are not yet labelled in order to get them
organized. We´d like to have a clean up ballot in the fall and will use
those labelled as “clean-up” to recognize easily and then work on those
specific ones and therefore not reviewing the others. With that, we´ll
create the clean-up ballot and also will reduce the number of open issues in

Ben: that´s good. To have the issues labelled. Need to go through and look
and see what´s marked as clean up.

Iñigo: But I´m asking the owners to review and label accordingly. Once done,
start on the ballot. I asked Corey in the past F2F to work on this possible
cleanup ballot.

Ben: How do you want to label backburner? Those with very low priority.

Trev: we just want to keep them as reminder      

Iñigo: yes, we´ll focus on those labelled as cleanup. For the others, you
can label generic.

Ben: Ok, we can sort and choose the cleanup label and for the others I´ll
sort of.

Iñigo: yes, correct.

Trev: I have not clear for what you said. Some are labelled, and Corey and
you and someone are going to make a clean up ballot

Iñigo: yes, that´s the idea

Trev: So, you´re making a clean up ballot and you´re just saying that
someone is making a clean up ballot

Iñigo: Well, we´re preparing the ballot but I´m not saying that I´ll be the
owner or proposer of the ballot, but yes, we can also make the proposal.

Trev: you need to figure out an owner of the cleanup ballot and then for the
issues not labelled you want this person to open and label them?

Iñigo: the owners of the open issues need to check their own issues and
label accordingly those that are not labelled. I´m not going to do it but
the owners. Those labelled as validation for example is ok.

Trev: so owners like Ryan, Clint, Tim, Dimitris, Aaron, Stephen, 
 are you
going to email people or are you just telling them in this call?

Iñigo: I emailed some of this people time ago to review their open tickets,
open issues because some were fixed and need to be removed, etc. For
example, Tim told me that he was going to review his open tickets

Trev: Are you giving a due date to do this?

Iñigo: No, I´d like to have this done asap and to have it ready for the fall
to work on that cleanup ballot. Maybe by the end of September. It´s not
needed to do it this week, we´re in summer holidays, so when people have

Trev: are you taking ownership of those? Items that were opened in the past
by people that are not in the group. Are you going to assign them into
someone else? How about those belonging to Ryan Sleevi?

Iñigo: I asked Ryan Dickson to take the ownership as they are from Google.

Trev: Thanks Ryan. Ok, if that´s enough of a label, then that´s great. I
don´t think I have any other question, that was ok. Thank you.


7.	Ballot Status – see list below

Iñigo: Regarding ballots, both ongoing have finished the discussion period.
I´d like to ask the promoters what´s next step.

Tom: yes, we´ve discussed and put a lot of effort in the ballot and want to
wrap it up. If changes come later that may be something we can further
discuss. So, yes, we´re moving to voting

Ryan: Yes, the voting period will begin in 15 minutes. I´ll send out an


8.	Any Other Business

Iñigo: Paul sent a link with the presentation gave in the F2F that have gone
to the IETF for discussion.

0> draft-vanbrouwershaven-acme-auto-discovery-00 - Auto-discovery mechanism
for ACME client configuration (ietf.org)

Paul: Review the proposal, provide feedback and maybe express your support
if you like the idea. I think this is key for an opportunity to move to
shorter certificates validity. The proposal is based on the CAA record, and
also contains some guidance for establishing an account binding, etc. I just
wanted to share with the working group because I think it´s important for
everyone here on the call. Your feedback is really appreciated. Thank you.

9.	Next call: 20 July
10.	Adjourn


*	Passed

*	None 

*	Failed

*	None

*	Voting Period

*	None

*	Discussion Period

*	SC63 – Make OCSP optional, require CRLs. Finished on the 29/6
*	SC59 – Weak Keys. Finishes today 3/7

*	Review Period 

*	None

*	Draft / Under Consideration

*	SCXX – SLO/Response for CRL & OCSP Responses - David Kluge (Google)
/ Clint Wilson (Apple): on hold
*	SCXX – Clean-up ballot


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.cabforum.org/pipermail/servercert-wg/attachments/20230720/e2781462/attachment-0001.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: smime.p7s
Type: application/pkcs7-signature
Size: 6853 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.cabforum.org/pipermail/servercert-wg/attachments/20230720/e2781462/attachment-0001.p7s>

More information about the Servercert-wg mailing list