[Servercert-wg] Discussion Period Begins: Ballot SC-061v3: New CRL Entries must have a Revocation Reason Code

Aaron Gable aaron at letsencrypt.org
Mon Jan 30 16:58:04 UTC 2023

The current redline appears to undo the recent renumbering of section
4.9.1.1, causing it to have two different instances of paragraphs 1 through
5. These were renumbered in Ballot SC-56 Cleanup[1]. Can we please preserve
the new numbering?

Additional notes:
- In 4.1.1.1 (1), perhaps "without specifying a CRLReason", rather than
"without giving a reason"? A Subscriber might state "Please revoke this
because I accidentally deleted the keys", in which case they are giving a
reason, but the best revocation reason is still 0 (Unspecified). One might
believe that Superseded is applicable in this case, but that revocation
request does not necessarily indicate that the Subscriber has also replaced
the certificate.
- A very minor comment, but there's inconsistent phrasing between the five
revocation reasons in Section 7.2.2: the first begins "Indicates that..."
while the others begin "It is intended to be used...". Can we give all five
of these entries the same structure/phrasing?

Aaron

[1]
https://github.com/cabforum/servercert/pull/401/files#diff-e0ac1bd190515a4f2ec09139d395ef6a8c7e9e5b612957c1f5a2dea80c6a6cfeR1214-R1224