[Servercert-wg] Ballot SC39v3: Definition of Critical Vulnerability

Neil Dunbar ndunbar at trustcorsystems.com
Tue Jan 19 18:25:18 UTC 2021

The issue here was to remove ambiguity in the NCSSRs as a starting
position.

I don't for a second doubt that there are many ways to make the
vulnerability curing process more thorough and transparent, but this
ballot in particular was simply to correct an incorrect URI in the
definitions and then to pin down what CVSS version should be referenced
in order to trigger the Critical Vulnerability patch window.

You are, of course, correct when you state that that patching is not the
only solution - indeed, the NCSSRs do define a process by which a CA can
say "We're not going to patch this because <reasons>". It's not very
transparent, and it can certainly be improved. But this particular
ballot was just there to patch an error which had developed in the text.

The NetSec team are more than happy to receive submissions on how to
improve the patching process!

Thanks,

Neil