[Servercert-wg] Ballot SC39v3: Definition of Critical Vulnerability

Weiler, Nathalie Nathalie.Weiler at ins.hsr.ch
Tue Jan 19 15:54:11 UTC 2021

Dear Neil, dear all,

While following the discussion on this editorial change now for a while, I still wonder what the expected benefit for the community is. I guess the main goal should be that we get a way on how we patch or remediate vulnerable and exploitable components in the CA ecoysytem in a verifiable way.
Using a public vulnerability rating is certainly one essential part in this procedure, but by far not the only one. Exploitability also plays a major role. And finally, there are often multiple ways on fixing the issue, not only patching the component to maybe inexistent "secure" patch.
Why do we not spend our time on defining the procedure correctly instead of patching the wording for the sake of the correctness of reference?

 Best regards,

 Nathalie