[Servercert-wg] Discussion Period Begins on Ballot SC43 Version 2: Clarify Acceptable Status Codes

Aaron Gable aaron at letsencrypt.org
Thu Apr 1 17:46:37 UTC 2021

Moving conversation over here to keep the voting thread just about voting.

In the voting thread, Dimitris has just noted that the "effective date" of
this change is only present in the Section 1.2.1 Revisions table:

> I just saw that the effective date of the acceptable status codes
(1-Jul-2021) was added to section 1.2.1 in the revisions table which is
incorrect. In my understanding this is not a place to add normative
requirements and besides, it only captures the effective date of the full
version of the document, not a specific requirement.

For me, this raises two questions:
1) For ballot authors, where are standards/requirements like this
documented? As someone relatively new to this community, the structure of
this ballot seemed reasonable to me: there are not currently any other
ballots in the pipeline which will be effective prior to the chosen date of
July 1, so simply noting "this document has changed, and that change will
go into effect on July 1" seems sufficient. How do we clearly document
ballot best practices and style guides?

2) For the community, why was this issue not raised during the discussion
period? The discussion period should not simply be a week-long waiting
period, with folks only reading the actual redline once voting begins. How
do we incentivize active review and discussion at the appropriate point in
the process?

These are of course interconnected -- perhaps other folks like myself did
read the ballot during the discussion period, but didn't realize there was
anything structurally wrong with it.

Thanks,
Aaron