[Servercert-wg] [cabfpub] Interest in Ed25519 and/or Ed448?

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Thu Mar 26 09:49:58 MST 2020

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 12:44 PM Kurt Roeckx <kurt at roeckx.be> wrote:

> I do not see any follow-up discussion in the archive that
> clarifies it. All the issues I see have been resolved, other than
> the following 2:
> - The BRs don't allow it.
> - Browsers don't support it.
>
> As far as I can see, the only thing the browsers are really
> waiting for is the BRs to allow it.

Hopefully
https://cabforum.org/pipermail/servercert-wg/2020-March/001770.html clarifies,
and highlights why the issues you believe are resolved are not.

I don't think browsers are waiting for the BRs to allow it. Browsers that
were interested in supporting such certificates could propose changes and
drive the discussion. For Chrome, we're not interested in supporting these
certificates. We're more keen to see energy focused on PQ, which at least
gives a reasonable payoff for the amount of effort needed to introduce new
algorithms.