[Servercert-wg] [cabfpub] Interest in Ed25519 and/or Ed448?

Kurt Roeckx kurt at roeckx.be
Thu Mar 26 09:43:57 MST 2020

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 11:44:48AM -0400, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 9:13 AM Kurt Roeckx via Servercert-wg <
> servercert-wg at cabforum.org> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Dec 21, 2018, Phillip wrote:
> > > If we wait for the hardware manufacturers to deploy, they will
> > > wait for us and so on ad infinitum. We have a circle of ungranted
> > > request. The way I see this process working is:
> > >
> > > 1.      IRTF-CFRG examines, reviews and specifies algorithms
> > > 2.      IETF-TLS specifies code points for use in TLS
> > > 3.      CABForum approves use in WebPKI certificates
> > > 4.      Vendors deploy
> >
> > So we're more than a year later, again. The current state a year
> > ago was that 1), 2), and 4) are actually done. What we're still
> > waiting for is:
> > - Browsers to support it
> > - CABForum to allow it
> >
> > I didn't see 4) as a blocker. I would be happy with an EE certificate
> > that uses Ed25519, assuming all certificates in the chain also
> > supported the 128 bit security level. But over a year ago, there
> > were multiple HSMs that supported Ed25519, and there currently is at
> > least 1 that supports Ed448.
> >
> > So what really is the blocker to allow this?
> >

> It looks like you snipped some of the follow-up discussion that clarified
> this. Was that intentional?

I do not see any follow-up discussion in the archive that
clarifies it. All the issues I see have been resolved, other than
the following 2:
- The BRs don't allow it.
- Browsers don't support it.

As far as I can see, the only thing the browsers are really
waiting for is the BRs to allow it.

Browsers are also not the only users, and outside the browsers
there is good support for it, you just can't get such
certificates.

Kurt