[Servercert-wg] [EXTERNAL] State or Province

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Thu Sep 5 11:01:13 MST 2019

Thanks Joanna, this is fantastic and extremely helpful! This is the kind of
discussion that really helps the Forum.

This gets somewhat to the heart of what "should" the stateOrProvince field
be. For fields where the EVGs are more prescriptive here, such as
jurisdictionOfIncorporation, it's much easier to establish a static list,
if simply by virtue of looking at the list of recognized jurisdictions of
incorporation (e.g. as GLEIF has done for their LOUs)

Your question, "Which is better for the community, that CA’s report what
they validate (L: Appleford, S: Abingdon C: GB) or what ISO says is true
(L: Abingdon S: Oxfordshire C: GB)?", hits on the heart of the matter. What
do "we" (browsers, CAs, relying parties) want that information to be, and
how do we express that within requirements. As it currently stands, we
can't be sure what it is, both within a CA and more broadly. Today, a
Subscriber might get a cert saying either, depending on the validation
agent they used, the QIIS/QGIS the CA used, or even which CA they went do.
And that seems to be the crux of the challenge.

Do you have thoughts on what it should be? That is, what the
values/purposes of this OV information would be in certificates, so that we
might shake out how to best enable that and ensure consistency?