[Servercert-wg] [EXTERNAL] State or Province

Joanna Fox jweber at godaddy.com
Thu Sep 5 10:48:55 MST 2019

I agree that we need to work together to standardize a process for state/country including the field contents; however, we are all aware that there are a variety of complications due to countries simply having different address structures.  I would like to discuss what I see as a common issue and discuss an alternative solution/source.  Bear with me this is long, but I think examples help the process.
For the sake of argument, let us focus on Physical Address (EVG 9.5.6) and Physical Existence (EVG 11.4) validation.  I think we can all agree that the point of these sections is to be able to direct a certificate consumer to the physical location of the business.  In my opinion, ISO may not be the right place to do this for certificate consumers, but something like UPU (Universal Postal Union)<http://www.upu.int/en/activities/addressing/postal-addressing-systems-in-member-countries.html> would be knowledgeable about how to get to a specific location.
For example, UPU for GB shows that an address can contain these elements:
Addressee identification
Building
Dependent thoroughfare
Thoroughfare
Double dependent locality
Dependent locality
POST TOWN
County
POSTCODE
UNITED KINGDOM
Commonly, one might see something like this (sourced from UPU):
Leda Engineering Ltd (addressee)
APPLEFORD (dependent locality)
ABINGDON (post town – not listed in ISO)
OX14 4PG (postcode)
UNITED KINGDOM
If we determine mapping ISO 3166-2 subdivisions to stateOrProvince and force a state requirement, this means we would require Oxfordshire in the state field for the company Leda Engineering Ltd.  QGIS and QIIS sources may not be able to validate Oxfordshire as this is not commonly used, I had to do a basic online search to find out that Abingdon was in Oxfordshire.  I believe it is more reliable to report what we can validate in the Subject fields.
Which is better for the community, that CA’s report what they validate (L: Appleford, S: Abingdon C: GB) or what ISO says is true (L: Abingdon S: Oxfordshire C: GB)?
Thank you,
Joanna Fox