[Servercert-wg] [cabfpub] Notice of Review Period – Ballots SC23 and SC24

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Tue Nov 19 03:52:44 MST 2019

Thanks for the additional review, it was really hard to make these
updates in the existing word version. Just for clarification purposes, I
used the following link:

  * https://github.com/cabforum/documents/compare/master@%7B10-25-19%7D...sleevi:2019-07-Cleanups@%7B10-25-19%7D

that was the red-line in the SC24 ballot. The complete file with all
changes applied should be

  * https://github.com/sleevi/cabforum-docs/blob/b0afc30fc5a4bfc383965349610437a843230417/docs/BR.md

So, I am trying to compare the "expected" Markdown with the word file.

On 2019-11-19 3:33 π.μ., Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> Capturing notes that were shared off-list by various folks, and
> reposting for visibility. Thanks for doing this, Dimitris, as this
> definitely highlights the ease to be had of having GitHub, PRs, and
> automagically generated PDFs :)
>
> *Requiring Correction*:
> Section 1.6.1: This fails to remove the definition for "Effective
> Date" (as shown in
> https://github.com/cabforum/documents/pull/145/files , based on what
> the Ballot was)

Fixed.

> Section 3.2.2.7 <http://3.2.2.7>: This appears to renumber the
> entries, leading #4 to have two entries and #5 to have no entry. This
> was not touched by either ballot, AFAICT. This may be a PDF diff bug?

It may be an issue with the PDF diff but the resulting text is exactly
the same comparing the Markdown with the pdf redline I posted. I marked
it as being the same so it doesn't appear in the redline. I applied the
same fix to other numbered/bulleted item sections that were not touched
by the ballot.

> Section 3.2.2.8 <http://3.2.2.8>: The first paragraph, regarding
> Effective Date, was not removed.

Fixed.

> Section 4.1.2 was not updated to refer to Section 4.2.1, and continues
> to incorrectly refer to Section 3.3.1; this was captured in
> https://github.com/cabforum/documents/pull/145/files

Fixed.

> Section 6.1.5.1 appears to place an asterisk (for the footnote) as a
> footer for 6.1.5, rather than indented to 6.1.5.1

>   - Same for 6.1.5.2 and 6.1.5.3

I added a tab before each asterisk to align under the bullets.

> *Uncertain*:
> The diff for 7.1.4+ appears to be mangled. Currently, version 1.6.6
> shows that "Name Forms" is in Section 7.1.4, which is the same as the
> Markdown. The diff appears to show it was 7.1.5, and is now being
> corrected to 7.1.4 - but that's not correct.

Word took a weird decision to change the heading and renumbered the
section when I added the new text. I reverted it back and added the text
in a different sequence which didn't change the numbering of the
following sections. Looks fixed.

> *Not Requiring Correction in the PDF, but otherwise noted:*
> Section 7.1.4.1 is listed in the PDF as "Issuer Information", matching
> the 1.6.6 PDF, while in the Markdown, it's listed as "Issuing CA
> Certificate Subject". As best I can tell, this was a typo introduce in
> the Markdown 4 years ago, in
> https://github.com/cabforum/documents/commit/661505addb9c5a0e9f35bcbc98f0629e26c3842d#diff-84a0a987677aabc0ae38abb27f95fb6d ,
> related to Ballot 146 -
> https://cabforum.org/2015/04/16/ballot-146-convert-baseline-requirements-to-rfc-3647-framework/ .
>
>   - Note: The above appears to only be an issue with the
> GitHub/Markdown, and not with the PDF or what was balloted in this or
> previous ballots

Thanks for digging up this information. I will submit a PR to update BRs
1.6.6 with this fix as it has been approved by an earlier ballot.

Attached is the v2 of the Baseline Requirements Draft Guideline.

In light of these changes, I would like to extend the review period by 1
day, ending December 19, 2019.

Dimitris.