[Servercert-wg] Ballot SC 13 version 3

Tim Hollebeek tim.hollebeek at digicert.com
Tue Nov 27 12:10:20 MST 2018

First, regarding your last point, thanks for pointing out the potential issue and I’ll take a look at it and see if there is indeed some improvements that need to be made to the language to make it clearer and more parallel.  If there is actually a problem there, I may be more willing to allow other clarifications to slip in as well.  But this process does need to come to a conclusion soon.

However you haven’t yet convinced me that there is any lack of clarity with respect to ADNs.

It’s “an Authorization Domain Name” because there are multiple ADNs that can potentially be chosen.  That’s always been true for ADNs.  I disagree that there is anything unclear about ADNs as currently specified in the BRs.  The definition is clear.  CAs MAY remove zero or more components from the left side of the FQDN, and use that as the starting point for validation.

I would use the simpler terms “right” and “wrong” to describe the interpretations you describe as “maximally conservative” and “tortured”.  In my mind, the “re-use” issue doesn’t come up for a single FQDN because in that case there’s only one ADN (“an ADN”, singular, and not “the ADNs”, plural).

The notion that the singular noun phrase “an Authorization Domain Name” refers to multiple inputs doesn’t make sense to me.  Clearly from the definition, there are multiple choices (“zero or more”), but clearly it has a single value (“an”) for a particular validation.

So I don’t think you can validate a single FQDN with multiple ADNs.  I’m not aware of any reason why you’d want to, either.

This language regarding ADNs is actually a clarification from Doug; I seriously doubt he disagrees with this interpretation (he can speak up for himself), which is how ADNs have worked since they’ve been introduced.  We are not changing, and I do not support changing, how ADNs work as part of this ballot.

-Tim