[cabfpub] Separate GitHub Repositories for Each Working Group

Aaron Gable aaron at letsencrypt.org
Thu Oct 8 00:26:33 UTC 2020

I have just a couple questions, none of which I think are important enough
count as objections or block this proposal from moving forward:

1) Has the Infrastructure Subcommittee considered the option of using
`git filter-branch` (or its easier-to-use unofficial cousin,
git-filter-repo:
https://github.com/newren/git-filter-repo/) instead of forking + deleting? I
believe that this solution would not work well for the new "servercert"
repo,
as the history rewrite would break redirects from old "documents" urls which
contain specific commit or blob hashes, but it might be a good option to
preserve full history (including of tools) for the other repositories if
that
is desired.

2) Given that the plan is for the "smime" and "code-signing" repositories to
retain the tooling necessary for building and deploying their documents (at
least until the "tools" repo is finalized), why are they being created fresh
instead of forked + deleted like the other, larger repositories? Having the
same creation process for all new repos, regardless of their size or the
importance of their documents' edit history, seems like a good idea.

3) Does the Infrastructure Subcommittee have a plan for preventing the
creation of orphan branches in the future, like those that will be deleted
from the "servercert" and "forum" repos? My understanding is that these
branches come into being representing proposed ballots which then fail to be
ratified. Are there proposals to clean up such branches on a regular ongoing
basis, or to prevent their creation in the first place (e.g. by having the
ballot pull request come from its sponsors' fork of the repo, rather than
from a branch within the repo itself)?

Thank you,
Aaron