[cabfpub] Separate GitHub Repositories for Each Working Group

Wayne Thayer wthayer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 15:33:25 UTC 2020

The Infrastructure Subcommittee plans to change the structure of the
Forum's GitHub organization to better reflect the evolving structure of the
Forum itself by moving to separate repositories for each working group.
We've discussed a number of ways to accomplish this, and have concluded
that the following steps represent the best approach:

First, we'll clone the "documents" repository to "archive", preserving
branches and commit history.

We'll then rename "documents" to "servercert". This repo will contain the
SCWG Charter, BRs, and EVGLs. GitHub will automatically redirect links from
the old name to the new name, keeping links to the current versions of the
BRs, NCSSRs, and EVGLs functioning.

The "servercert" repo will be forked to create a "forum" repo that retains
commit history for the Charter and other Forum level documents. Non-SCWG
documents will then be deleted from "servercert", and non-Forum docs will
be deleted from "forum".

Also, ALL EXISTING BRANCHES WILL BE DELETED - this means that some redline
links included in old ballots will be broken. Those links can be manually
modified to reference the "archive" repository. This is a tradeoff made to
preserve links to the current versions of SCWG docs and to simplify this
migration.

Finally, we'll create new repositories under the 'cabforum' organization as
follows:
- "code-signing" - Code signing Charter, BRs, and EV code signing guidelines
- "smime" - Charter and BRs for S/MIME certificates
- "tools" - Future location for automation code and other Infrastructure WG
files

The few commits that need to be preserved in these repos will be manually
re-created.

Each repo will have access rights specific to the working group (e.g. SCWG
members won't be able to approve changes to the SMCWG repo).

The "main" branch of each repo will be configured to enforce reviews before
merging a pull request.

The Infrastructure subcommittee proposes that these changes be made after
November 1st if no objections are raised. Please respond if you have any
concerns with this proposal.

Thanks,

Wayne