[cabfpub] Ballot Forum-11: Creation of S/MIME Certificates Working Group

Wayne Thayer wthayer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 11:31:54 MST 2020

Thanks Dimitris.

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 11:09 PM Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) via Public <
public at cabforum.org> wrote:

> Tim, Wayne, Adriano,
>
> Apple made a contribution and although HARICA disagrees with most of the
> recommended changes I believe there should be some discussion around that.

Agree. It's not in anyone's interests, nor do I believe that the intent was
to ignore input unrelated to the identity issue. We should discuss it now
to allow members to decide for themselves if the suggestions are important
enough to warrant voting against this ballot, or if the ballot is good
enough to ratify as-is.

Unfortunately, although I had started working on a response, I didn't have
> time to complete it on time. I was hoping to see some comments/responses
> from the proposer and endorsers before the voting period began.
>
> For what it's worth, here is a list of my comments (attached). My biggest
> concern is the Certificate Consumer members that qualify based on "mail
> transfer agent". I would certainly like some more information about that
> before HARICA votes. Other than that, the charter looks good to me.

The section in question is:

(2) A Certificate Consumer eligible for voting membership in the SMCWG must
produce a develop and maintain a mail user agent (web-based or application
based), mail transfer agent, or email service provider that processes
S/MIME certificates issued by third-party Certificate Issuers who meet
criteria set by such Certificate Consumer.

The inclusion of "mail transfer agents" as eligible participants doesn't
appear harmful to me, but I also agree with Clint's comment that "The role
of a mail transfer agent in consuming S/MIME certificates is unclear."

Tim or Ben: this was part of the draft Ben proposed over a year ago. Do you
have any information on why this was included?