[cabfpub] Ballot Forum-11: Creation of S/MIME Certificates Working Group

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Wed Feb 5 15:22:01 MST 2020

Hi Tim,

Could you point to where that's reflected in the minutes? Our understanding
here at Google is that Apple's proposed changes, which we support and would
be unable to participate without incorporating, is that it accurately and
correctly reflects the discussions in London [1], reiterated in Cupertino
[2], and agreed upon in Thessaloniki [3]. It appears that, following that,
the proposers of that ballot ignored that consensus and conclusion, and yet
the discussion of Guangzhou [4] does not indicate there was consensus to do
so.

I'm hoping we've just overlooked something in the minutes, but Apple's
proposed changes seem imminently reasonable, and a worthwhile path to
drafting requirements that consuming software, such as mail clients (both
native and Web), can use and consume as part of their root programs, as an
alternative to their root-program-specific requirements.

[1]
https://cabforum.org/2018/06/06/minutes-for-ca-browser-forum-f2f-meeting-44-london-6-7-june-2018/#New-SMIME-Working-Group-Charter
[2]
https://cabforum.org/2019/05/03/minutes-for-ca-browser-forum-f2f-meeting-46-cupertino-12-14-march-2019/#Creation-of-additional-Working-Groups---Secure-Mail
"Dean – We have a blank slate here and it seems the reluctance was to make
it a narrow scope and then focus on either one aspect of SMIME. First task
might be how to validate an email, and then focus on identity validation.
Some comments were to make the chart narrow to focus on one task while
others say to include all proposed tasks to not have to recharter which has
caused issues in the past."
[3]
https://cabforum.org/2019/08/16/minutes-for-ca-browser-forum-f2f-meeting-47-thessaloniki-12-13-june-2019/#Creation-of-Additional-Groups---Secure-Mail
"Eventually, all parties in the conversation came to the conclusion that it
would behoove the Forum to scope the working group charter to domain
validation, first, before adding other functionality once that portion was
locked-down."
[4]
https://cabforum.org/2019/12/12/minutes-for-ca-browser-forum-f2f-meeting-48-guangzhou-5-7-november-2019/#Creation-of-Additional-Groups---Secure-Mail