[cabfpub] Pre-Ballot 206 - Amendment to IPR Policy & Bylaws re Working Group Formation

Virginia Fournier vfournier at apple.com
Fri Jan 19 00:13:48 UTC 2018

Tim raises a good question below, regarding whether legacy working groups and newly-approved working groups should both be called “working groups.”  Maybe we should make a clear distinction between “Legacy Groups,” and “Chartered Working Groups,” or something similar.  Thoughts?

There’s also a question about a mechanism to convert “legacy” working groups to “chartered” working groups within 6 months.  The process for converting a “legacy” group into a “chartered” group is specified in Section 5.3.4 (see below) of the new Bylaws.  The legacy group would need to go through the same process as any other group would to get a charter approved.  So the process is already covered.
5.3.4 Legacy Working Groups
Any legacy Working Groups in existence when this Bylaws v.1.8 is approved by the Forum shall have the option of immediately terminating or continuing in effect without change for 6 months following such approval.  For a legacy a Working Group to continue beyond such 6 months, it must have a charter approved as described in Section 5.3.1 above, as if it was a new Working Group.

Best regards,

Virginia Fournier
Senior Standards Counsel
 Apple Inc.