[cabfpub] voting for SCWG and Forum ballots

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Wed Dec 19 07:16:58 UTC 2018

On 18/12/2018 3:57 μ.μ., Doug Beattie via Public wrote:

> Tim,
>
> The rules for voting might have changed with the new Bylaws (or at
> least the updates could cause some confusion on where to vote because
> there are 2 mail lists now), so it’s worth a reminder on which list to
> post votes to.  The bylaws, section 2.3 says: All voting will take
> place via the Public Mail List
>
> It’s my understanding that voting takes place ONLY on the public list
> (public at cabforum.org), so any votes cast on a working group lists
> won’t be counted, is that correct?   Your email went to both the
> Public list and the servercert-wg list which might cause some
> confusion on which list to use.  “Kamu SM” sent their vote only to the
> servercert-wg list, so it won’t be counted.
>
> Is the Public list “THE”  list to use for voting?  If so, then I think
> reminders about the ballot voting period should be sent only to that
> list so there isn’t any confusion when replying to vote.
>
> Doug

Hi Doug,

Thanks for bringing up this issue. I also noticed this when I took over
as Chair and brought it to the attention of the Vice-Chairs. The Server
Certificate Working Group HAS a Public List of its own
(servercert-wg at cabforum.org). The expectation is for discussions/voting
and all activities specific to the Working Group to be conducted using
the "servercert-wg at cabforum.org" mailing list. We even have separate
agendas, read the Antitrust statement separately, so voting should be no
different.

The current practice, until this issue is clarified, is to count
Member's votes for SCWG ballots when posted to any of the two lists
(public at cabforum.org, servercert-wg at cabforum.org). For Forum ballots,
only votes sent to the public at cabforum.org list are counted.

An updated charter of the SCWG could make it explicit that SCWG ballot
votes will only be counted when posted (and archived) at the
servercert-wg at cabforum.org.

I am working on an updated version of the Bylaws and might add some
language to clarify this also. I plan on sending it to the public list
when it's ready. A Governance
Subcommittee/WG/group/task-force/team/whatever would be a tremendous
help here. I can send you a draft if you have time to review.

Thanks,
Dimitris.