[cabfpub] Preballot - Revised Ballot 190

Geoff Keating geoffk at apple.com
Fri May 19 23:48:39 UTC 2017

> On 19 May 2017, at 3:43 pm, Ryan Sleevi <sleevi at google.com> wrote:
>
> How does that fit with the quoted Section 4.1.2?
>
> "The	certificate	request MUST contain a request from, or on behalf of, the Applicant for the issuance of a Certificate, and a certification by, or on behalf of, the Applicant that all of the information contained therein is correct.”

4.1.2 starts with “Prior to the issuance of a Certificate”.  So, at some point before the certificate issues, 4.1.2 needs to be satisfied.  There’s no ordering between that and the validation requirements in the BRs.

> 1) If there is no certificate request, is there an Applicant at the time the CA begins validating information?

A validation is only relevant to the BRs if it leads to a certificate issuance.  A certificate issuance must only occur after a certificate request which implies the existence of an Applicant to get the certificate request from.  So, yes, there must have been an Applicant.  The CA may not have known who.

> 2) If there is no certificate request, and/or there is no Applicant, how is the information the CA validated conforming with Section 3.2, which Section 4.2.1 references?

There is always an Applicant and there must be a certificate request, see above.

> Those are two reasons why I do not believe the scenario is permitted.

Those weren’t reasons, they were questions…