[cabfpub] Naming rules

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Mon Mar 6 02:07:45 UTC 2017

On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 5:18 PM, Kirk Hall via Public <public at cabforum.org>
wrote:

> +1.  Seems like a good resolution to me - full disclosure to users and
> browsers, deference to local law where applicable as provided in BR 9.16.3
> (local users are probably already used to any local customs on naming
> rules), and avoids the need for the Forum to try to understand and
> approve/disapprove local naming rules one by one.  Allows auditors to
> complete successful audits with disclosure, and the trust list maintainers
> receive notice and can make their own decisions.

I think it's worth pointing out, again, that deference to local law, as you
suggested, only applies in exceptionally limited cases - and on the basis
of the provided evidence, does not apply.

I think this is crucial for the Forum's members - and auditors who may be
following - to understand and appreciate.