[cabfpub] Certificate lifetimes: end state or trajectory?

Geoff Keating geoffk at apple.com
Fri Mar 3 19:07:03 UTC 2017

> On 3 Mar 2017, at 1:14 am, Gervase Markham via Public <public at cabforum.org> wrote:
>
> It would be useful if those members could say whether 13 months would
> still be unacceptably short if the date for introduction of the 13 month
> requirement were something like 1st March 2019, 2 years from now.

If we’re setting out a roadmap, and the end point of the road map is 13 months, I would ask what 13 months gives us that 27 or 39 doesn’t; and why stop at 13 months rather than some other number?  Why not keep going all the way to 90 days or 30 days or 7 days?

I’d rather be having a discussion about the end state.  If the vision is that all devices should automatically acquire and renew certificates, when is a practical date for that vision to be realized?  And what benefits does it give that makes it worth the substantial effort to implement?