[cabfpub] Ballot 188 - Clarify use of term "CA" in Baseline Requirements

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Wed Mar 1 08:22:15 UTC 2017

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 11:36 PM, Dimitris Zacharopoulos via Public <
public at cabforum.org> wrote:

> Perhaps changing the "Root CA Certificate" as "A CA Certificate in which
> the Public Key has been digitally signed by its corresponding Private Key
> with the intention to be distributed by Application Software Suppliers as a
> trust anchor". Would that work?

I think this would be a step in the wrong direction. As we know from the
discussions about the scope of the BRs, "intent" is something that is hard
to audit and hard to document. We should avoid such definitions, and focus
on clear technical definitions.