[cabfpub] C=GR, C=UK exceptions in BRs

Geoff Keating geoffk at apple.com
Sat Mar 18 00:06:30 MST 2017

In this discussion, I think perhaps a key point has been lost:

Why is the CABforum involved in this?

The CABforum does not assign country codes, nor is it responsible for defining the countryName attribute (that’s in ITU-T X.520 | ISO/IEC 9594-6).  I don’t see why the CABforum should consider itself free to change that definition and I don’t see why people should be asking it to.

Even if it was permitted, would it be wise?  The CABforum is not well suited to be determining the existence or names of countries, especially in contentious cases, and there are a lot of contentious cases in this area.  An important function of the ISO 3166 Maintenance Agency is to enfold these contentious cases in careful bureaucracy and to come up with a result that, while it might not be agreed to be the correct result, or the desirable result, is at least agreed to be the result.