[cabfpub] Ballot 203: Formation of Network Security Working Group (v2)

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Mon Jun 19 13:20:51 UTC 2017

Google votes ABSTAIN

We remain concerned that the proposed "Expiration" is questionable with
respect to the Bylaws as presently written. In one respect, this Ballot
could be read as proposing a WG outside the protections and affordances of
the Bylaws - thus calling into question members' contributions and their
obligations with respect to those contributions.

Alternatively, it may be read that this Ballot modifies the Bylaws, without
clearly doing so in text, by implicitly defining a process for rechartering
a working group, for purposes of extending the expiration date, without the
process of Ballots.

In light of these concerns, we ABSTAIN, with the hope and belief that
members voting yes have considered these implications. Our hope is that
further clarifications will be made that this represents a modification to
the Bylaws' process for purposes of this sole Working Group, and that all
contributions shall be subject to the IPR Policy as per all other Working
Group contributions.