[cabfpub] Draft CAA motion (4)

Bruce Morton Bruce.Morton at entrustdatacard.com
Wed Jan 25 10:04:49 MST 2017

Current contractual obligations may be a prepaid service to perform certificate management services and license a Subscriber to issue X number of certificates (say 5, 10, 100, 500, 1000, ...) over a specific period of time (say 1, 2, 3 years ...). Creation or a change to the CAA record with a hard-fail could stop the CA from fulfilling their obligation.

Anti-competitive behavior is an error case which I think should be planned for in the policy design. I am not sure how we can provide evidence to strongly prove a future error case. I don't believe that we are allowed to discuss possible incentives or benefits which a Subscriber could be provided by restricting the CAA record to a specific CA.

I am not looking for CA processes to decide whether to check a CAA record. I am looking to use the current methods which we have defined in the BRs and EV guidelines to permit a CA to issue a certificate. I am also looking for escalation processes using defined terms and requirements from the BRs and EV guidelines to allow an Applicant or Subscriber to request and authenticate the issuance of a certificate.

Thanks, Bruce.