[cabfpub] Draft Ballot 185 - Limiting the Lifetime of Certificates: User input

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Fri Feb 10 17:42:12 UTC 2017

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 9:36 AM, Eric Mill <eric at konklone.com> wrote:

> I really think it would be worth picking 400 days and moving on, as there
> are other more significant aspects of the proposal that would benefit from
> arriving at consensus or something close to it, and energy spent on 398 v
> 400 is energy not spent on addressing those issues.

I appreciate the sentiment, but so far, the only one suggesting there's a
lack of consensus has been a non-voting member. That is, the choice of 398
versus 400 does not affect consensus at all, at least, based on the
messages so far.

Given that the Forum doesn't have a clear process for making changes to a
Ballot during the discussion phase - other than there must be at least 7
days discussion of a Ballot - presumably that change would do more harm
than good, by delaying a vote which is otherwise unaffected by the choice.

So let's agree to 398 days and no longer discuss, unless some CA believes
that the choice of those two days would materially affect their vote, and
thereby, affect consensus :)