[cabfpub] Draft Ballot 185 - Limiting the Lifetime of Certificates

Richard Barnes rbarnes at mozilla.com
Thu Feb 2 15:23:47 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 6:17 AM, García Jimeno, Oscar via Public <
public at cabforum.org> wrote:

> I’d like to give you some numbers of SSL certificates issued by Izenpe. We
> have DV (1, 2 or 3 years), OV (1, 2 or 3 years) and EV (1 or 2 years)
> certificates:
>

> EV 1 year -> 7,33%
>
> EV 2 years -> 92,67%
>

> OV 1 year -> 30,93%
>
> OV 2 years -> 0,22%
>
> OV 3 years -> 68,84%
>

> DV 1 year -> 22,54%
>
> DV 2 years -> 0,00%
>
> DV 3 years -> 77,46%
>

>From the Firefox perspective, counting across all certificate types, and in
units of validations (not certificates):

<= 12 weeks -> ~20%
13 - 52 weeks -> ~11%
53 - 72 weeks -> ~20%
72 - 104 weeks -> ~12%

https://mzl.la/2kwemdt

> It’s clear that customers (normally) prefer to have more usability and
> sacrifice some security; they don’t want to have to renew all their
> certificates every year.

I'm sure customers would *prefer* not to have to deal with certificates at
all :)

I actually draw the opposite conclusion from these data, namely that it's
totally feasible for a lot of web sites to live with lifetimes that are
close to a year.  50% of validations that Firefox does are for certificates
lasting less than 18 months!

In other words, there's a difference between "would prefer" and "can
tolerate"; we should be looking toward the latter; and the threshold of
viability there seems pretty close to what the draft ballot proposes.

--Richard