[cabfpub] Ballot 185 - Limiting the Lifetime of Certificates

Scott Rea scott at scottrea.com
Mon Feb 13 12:34:13 MST 2017

G'day Ryan,

I think I must have missed the "general agreement" posts on the list.
Minor changes are the discretion of ballot producers and endorsers, did
this "general agreement" you are referring to happen off list? Who was
involved in the "general agreement" process?

Regards,
-Scott

On 2/13/2017 11:05 AM, Ryan Sleevi via Public wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 11:14 AM, Dean Coclin via Public
> <public at cabforum.org <mailto:public at cabforum.org>> wrote:
>
>     Minor changes to ballots have traditionally been allowed in the
>     forum. "Minor" has been left to the discretion of the ballot
>     producer/endorsers but we've seldom seen controversy over that.
>

> It seems that there's general agreement that postponing the effective
> date represents a 'minor' change, for purposes of Ballot formation, and
> does not require restarting the discussion and/or voting periods. To
> that end, I will repost to the public list a revised form which takes
> into Gerv's remarks about what an appropriate _Baseline_ requirement is.
> Recognizing that such proposals are inherently a baseline, rather than
> best practice, and recognizing that different browsers / root stores may
> have more stringent security requirements, it doesn't undermine the
> Ballot to acknowledge that, but neither should it be seen as an
> endorsement that this is the 'best practice' timeframe for deployment.

Scott Rea, MSc, CISSP
Ph# (801) 874-4114